Complaints Procedure

If there is a defect after the work has been completed, you should first follow these steps:

  • You contact the contractor and clearly explain what the problem is and ask them to inspect their work, and if necessary carry out remedial works.
  • If you do not receive a response, contact them again in writing and clearly explain the issues, and ask them to inspect the work.
  • If this does not work, you can follow the procedure the below.

Any complaint received by RIDBA will be investigated. The complaint must be submitted in writing to the Secretariat who will carry out the following actions:

  • Acknowledge receipt of the complaint within two working days
  • Advise the complainant that the complaint will be investigated
  • Ask for any further information that may be required to carry out the investigation
  • Indicate a time scale of when the complainant should hear further from the Secretariat, which should be no longer than 28 days from the date of this letter
  • Write to the member who is the subject of the complaint, setting out the complaint and asking for a formal reply within 14 days
  • Advise either the Chairman or the Vice Chairman of RIDBA of the details of the complaint, then decide if a meeting is necessary and who would be the most competent person to consider the complaint; this could be an independent expert
  • Once the reply is received from the member against whom the complaint was received, it should be considered by the sub-committee who would decide what further actions, if any, were required
  • If the complaint is found to be unfounded the complainant will be advised of this by the Secretariat, giving details
  • If the member is found to be at fault they should be given the opportunity to rectify the situation, if in the view of the majority of the committee the member does not satisfactorily rectify the situation they should be advised that their actions are at risk of bringing the Association into disrepute and if they still refuse to rectify the situation to the satisfaction of the sub-committee,
    the matter will have to be put before the Board, where the member will be expected to put his case. If the Board find that the Member is bringing the association into disrepute then the Board could decide to withdraw membership without the return of any membership subscriptions
  • The complainant will be kept informed as necessary
  • The complaints sub-committee may decide to recommend that Board publish the name of the member whose membership they recommend be withdrawn and the reasons for the withdrawal.